The Global Achievement Gap: Why Even Our Best Schools Don’t Teach the New Survival Skills Our Children Need-and What We Can Do About It
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Your purchases help us support important charities.
“Parents, teachers, administrators and policy makers urgently need to understand what Wagner is telling us.”―Clayton M. Christensen, author of Disrupting Class and The Innovator’s Dilemma
“I imagine this book more of an experience than a read…. [Wagner] is a likely leader for the new era.”―Washington Post
“Tony Wagner is not just talking about our schools here–he is talking about the future of our nation. The Global Achievement Gap cuts through the complexity and partisan posing so incessantly associated with this genre. It is a powerful call to action, and a roadmap of how to fundamentally rethink the education of our children. If we ignore it, we do so at great peril.”―Keith R. McFarland, author of #1 Wall Street Journal and New York Times bestseller The Breakthrough Company: How Everyday Companies Become Extraordinary Performers
“The Global Achievement Gap is thoughtful and inspirational…. This book will capture your head, your heart, and I hope, your future actions. This is a very important book for anyone who cares about preparing young people for success in a abruptly changing global society. Every school board member, administrator teacher, and parent in the nation should read this book.”―Anne L. Bryant, Executive Director, National School Boards Association
“Tony Wagner takes us deep inside the black box of school curriculum in a way very few authors have done. What do we mean by rigor? By 21st century skills? Wagner shows us concretely what thinking skills truly are, how current approaches to ‘raising standards’ cannot get us there, and what is going to. Everyone concerned with American education should read this book.”―Linda Darling-Hammond, Charles E. Ducommun Professor of Education, Stanford University
“Tony Wagner has managed to penetrate the jargon and over-simplified responses to the pervasive underachievement that exists among our students. He has charted an important new direction and given us a way to get there. This book deserves to be powerfully influential.”―Mel Levine, author of A Mind at a Time
“Tony Wagner argues persuasively that old ways of teaching are completely unsuited to new ways of working. The Global Achievement Gap should be grabbed by business leaders to guide a much-needed conversation with educators.”―Rosabeth Moss Kanter, Harvard Business School professor, author of American the Principled and Confidence
“This book is a ‘must read’ for the change agents in public education. Wagner presents a compelling case for rapid and urgent change in the present American education system.”―Betty Burks, deputy superintendent, San Antonio Independent School District
“The Global Achievement Gap is a lucid–and scary–book. It chronicles how policies that intend to give a boost to our schools are if truth be told shutting down their abilities to help students learn how to think. Parents, teachers, administrators and policymakers urgently need to understand what Wagner is telling us.”―Clayton Christensen, professor, Harvard Business School, author of Disrupting Class
“In The Global Achievement Gap, Tony Wagner offers a thoughtful analysis of where we are in American public education. (in the back of the times), and what we need to do to adapt to the future that is upon us. Drawing upon years of accumulated wisdom as a teacher, principal, trainer, and well-traveled observer of schools, Wagner builds a persuasive case for change in the way we approach schooling, grounded in the question: what does it mean to be an educated person in the 21st century?”―Dr. Richard C. Atksinson, president emeritus, University of California
About the Author
Bestselling education expert Tony Wagner’s groundbreaking manifesto on how to reform our schools and educate our children for the twenty-first century global economyIn The Global Achievement Gap, education expert Tony Wagner situates our school problems in the larger context of the demands of the global knowledge economy. He illustrates that even in our best schools, we don’t teach or test the skills that matter most for the twenty-first century. Uncovering what motivates today’s generation to excel in school and the workplace, Wagner explores new models of schools that are inspiring students to solve tough problems and communicate at high levels. An education manifesto for the 21st century, The Global Achievement Gap is a must-read for anyone interested in seeing our young people achieve their full potential, at the same time as contributing to a strong economy and vibrant democracy.
YAMIU Packing Cubes 7-Pcs Travel Organizer Accessories with Shoe Bag & 2 Toiletry BagsRated 0 out of 5
$49.00(as of July 15, 2019, 7:55 pm) Buy product
- Children's Books
No Matter What (Send A Story)Rated 0 out of 5
$7.99(as of July 15, 2019, 7:55 pm) & FREE Shipping. DetailsSave $5.00 when you spend $15.00 or more on offered by Amazon.com. Enter code PRIMEBOOK19 at checkout.Your coupon will be applied at amazon checkout. DetailsBuy product
Coupons available for this offerView more couponsNo Matter What (Send A Story)Save $5.00 when you spend $15.00 or more on offered by Amazon.com. Enter code PRIMEBOOK19 at checkout.
- Offer expires at 11:59 p.m. (PT) July 16, 2019.
- Offer only applies to products sold by Amazon.com (look for "sold by Amazon.com" on the product detail page). Products sold by third-party
sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even
if "fulfilled by Amazon.com" or "Prime Eligible".
- Offer does not apply to rentals, digital content or subscriptions.
- Offer good while supplies last.
- Shipping charges and taxes may apply to the full value of discounted and free promotional items.
- Items must be purchased in a single order and shipped at the same speed to a single address.
- Offer limited to one per customer and account.
- Offer may not be combined with other offers.
- Taxes, shipping and handling, and gift wrap charges do not apply when determining minimum purchase amount.
- The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $5.
- Promotional code expires at 11:59 p.m. (PT) July 16, 2019.
- Promotional code only applies to print books.
- Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel the offer at any time.
- Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold.
- Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your order.
- If any of the products or content related to this offer are returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the product or content, subject to applicable refund policies.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
- Unless an Amazon Gift Card is the stated benefit of the promotion, promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards.
- Enter promo code PRIMEBOOK19 at checkout to qualify.
- Toys & Games
Uncle Milton Rainbow In My Room – Rainbow Night Light Projector – STEM LearningRated 0 out of 5
$19.99(as of July 14, 2019, 8:04 pm) & FREE Shipping. Details Buy product
- Children's Books
Fancy Nancy Take-Along Storybook Set: 5 Storybook AdventuresRated 0 out of 5
$11.99(as of July 14, 2019, 8:04 pm) & FREE Shipping. Details Buy product
- Food & Health
How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse DiseaseRated 0 out of 5
$32.50(as of July 14, 2019, 8:04 pm) & FREE Shipping. Details Buy product